Are you feeling the heat? Could it be menopause? Come and join us! To discuss menopausal symptoms, learn about treatment options and how to stay strong and healthy at this time of life.
Where | Corrimal District Library & Community Centre, 15 Short Street Corrimal
When | Wednesday 18th and 25th February 6.00 – 8.30pm
Cost | Free
Please call 4255 6800 to book you place.
Self Esteem & Communication for Women
For bookings and information, please call 4221 2000
This course will help you to better understand yourself and other, and to develop strategies to enhance self-esteem and confidence.
- Building self Esteem, self confidence and communication skills
- Recognising behaviour and responses when communicating with others
- Problem solving
- Caring for yourself
Date | Monday 2/2/15 -16/3/15
Time | 10am – 12.30pm
Location | Illawarra Women’s Health Centre 2-14 Belfast Ave Warilla
Cost | FREE
To make a booking or for more information please call 4221 2000
Flying Solo – Resilient Parenting For Singles
This half-day seminar supports single parents in building healthy, positive relationships with their children; explores parenting strategies with other solo parents and offers practical parenting skills for the solo flyer.
- Importance of self-care and accessing support;
- The unique parenting challenges for singles;
- Practical tips for enhancing family connections & communication;
- Building resilience and promoting self esteem
Date | Mondays 23/3/15 – 30/3/15
Time | 10.00am – 12.30pm
Location | Illawarra Women’s Health Centre Building 2/10 Belfast Ave Warilla
Cost | FREE
To make a booking or for more information please call 4221 2000
Lift – A group for women who may be feeling overwhelmed or experiencing high levels of stress and worry.
Lift aims to help you:
- Explore thoughts, feeling and strategies in a safe friendly environment
- Set goals in line with your values to increase involvement in pleasurable activities and help improve nutrition and sleep
- Practice a variety of relaxation and stress reduction techniques
- Challenge negative thinking patterns
- Learn about anxiety and depression and how o reverse the cycle
- Discover how to improve relationships and build your supportr network
When | Tuesday Mornings 24 February, 3, 10, 17 & 24 March 2015
Time | 9.30am- 12noon
Where | Illawarra Women’s Health Centre 2-14 Belfast Ave Warilla
Cost | $20 per session
Bookings essential | Ph: Catholiccare on 4227 1122 or contact Illawarra Women’s Heath
Centre on 4255 6800 For more info go to www.catholiccare.dow.org.au
Divine Songs – New 2015
Sacred songs from many cultures and traditions. Divine Songs is a joyous concert and song circle bringing together devotional songs from many cultural traditions.
We sing songs, chants, kirtan and poetry from Gospel, Yogic, Goddess, Sufi, Kabalah and many other traditions. We sing in Sanscrit, Hebrew, Arabic, African and Indigenous and other languages. All are welcome. We end with a guided meditation. We welcome women to bring a song from their cultural tradition.
Bring a cushion, a drum or shaker and your voice. You don’t have to be a singer to chant and sing along.
Divine Songs is Mignon (Mukti) and Judy (Haqiqa)
Starting Thursday 5th February 2015 every fortnight.
Time | 2.30pm – 4.00pm
Where | Illawarra Women’s Health Centre
Cost | $12/ $10 concession
Free Legal Advice
We are offering free, no obligation legal advice appointments. A senior solicitor is available to give advice on most general legal matters including:
- Family Law
- Credit and Debt Law
- Wills and Estate Law
- Criminal and Traffic Law
- Domestic Violence Law and AVO’s
- Mental Health Law
- Older person’s issues
- Witnessing documents
A drop in service is also available once a week on the following dates between 10am -12pm.
- Friday 13th February
- Tuesday 17th February
- Friday 27th February
- Tuesday 3rd March
- Friday 13th March
- Tuesday 17th March
- Friday 27th March
Our solicitor is happy to apply for legal aid where eligibility is met. Wills, Powers of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship and Advanced Care Directives drafted at a reduced rate for IWHC clients.
Phone Glenda on 0488 717 173 for an appointment
We also have a solicitor from Illawarra Legal Centre here on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. They are available for legal matters regarding Centrelink, welfare rights, discrimination and financial matters.
Please call 42556800 to book an appointment.
Women’s Carer Support Group
Mental Health Carers ARAFMI Illawarra and the Illawarra Women’s Health Centre will be commencing a Women’s Support Group. This is a time for women to come together and share positive coping strategies around caring for a loved one living with a mental illness, chronic illness or a disability and explore how their caring role affects their relationship with the cared for person.
Venue | Illawarra Women’s Health Centre 2-14 Belfast Ave Warilla
Date | 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month
Time | 11.00am – 12.30pm
Cost | FREE
For more information or to register for this group please contact ARAFMI on 4254 1699 or IWHC on 4255 6800.
Illawarra Koori Women’s Group
The Illawarra Koori Women’s Group hold workshops at the centre. Details have yet to be finalised for 2015, for more information please call:
- Aunty Bev Armer 0422 424 515
- Agnes Donovan 0466 933 202
- Denika Thomas on 0431 095 530
- Aunty Pearl Brown Aboriginal Leader
Women’s Health Services
We now have a doctor at the centre that can insert and remove IUDs (Mirena and copper). Implanon insertion is also available. Our doctors can also provide antenatal care. Our doctors are available on a Tuesday and Thursday and our Nurse Practitioner is available Monday to Thursday. All appointments are bulk billed. Please call 42556800 to book.
Pelvic Floor Chair
The Illawarra Women’s Health Centre has a Pelvic Floor Chair Program. This program includes a medical checkup. The Pelvic Floor Chair creates a therapeutic magnetic field that produces powerful stimulation to vital muscles that cannot be activated through pelvic floor muscles alone. Incorporated in the program is correct pelvic pelvic floor exercise information and bladder retraining. At the end of the program, leakage and bladder problems may be improved or made more manageable. For more information please call 42556800
FREE Legal information, advice and services
Glenda Stares, a solicitor specialising in Family law, wills and Estate law, Criminal law and traffic offences, domestic and personal violence, mental health, credit and debt and residential conveyancing is offering FREE 20 min personal information advice sessions. For these sessions please call Glenda direct on 0488 717 173 to book.
Want to QUIT smoking?
Call Gabi at the IWHC on 4255 6800 for a personal appointment and support.
The IWHC is running the LOVEBITES program free of charge on request.
LOVEBITES is a healthy relationships program focusing Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention for 14-16 year old girls and boys. The program can be implemented at the IWHC or in community/highschool setting. For more information please email Dianne on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 4255 6800
Peer Education on Women’s Heart Health
We have a group of inspirational peer educators ready to give an interactive presentation on heart health to your group. The interactive presentation is about heart disease and modifiable risk factors such as exercise, nutrition, alcohol and smoking. Heart disease is the number one killer of Australian women.
More Information? Call Gabi Martinez on 42556809 or email email@example.com
Would you like to use our rooms for your own group that will support women’s health and well being? Please call Dianne, our Centre Coordinator on 4255 6800. Rooms are free of charge.
Regular activities @ IWHC
- 10am-1.00pm: Women’s Circle – meditation, group discussions, card readings, mini Reiki sessions ($5)
- 10.00am – 12.00pm Single Mothers Support Group (Held at Berkeley Neighbourhood Centre)
- 3pm – 4pm Myofascial release classes – ($7 a class)
- 6.00-7.00pm: Drumming – beginners (for more information contact Elena 0408 111 093)
- 7.00-8.00pm: Drumming – advanced (for more information contact Elena 0408 111 093)
- 10-11am: Yoga – great for seniors ($8 a class)
- 11.30-2.30pm: Craft Connections FREE
- 7-9pm: Modern Belly dancing ($12.50 a class)
- Free legal advice Provided by a lawyer from the Illawarra Legal Centre. 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month, specialising in tenants service, financial counselling and welfare rights 10am-12pm Appointments essential – call 42556800
- 11am-12pm: Tai Chi for beginners ($7 a class)
- 11am -12pm Boxing ($7 a class)
- 10-11am: Seniors Exercise class $7
- 1-2pm – Guided Relaxation class (including Meditation) – FREE
- 3.45-4.45pm – Strength & Conditioning (call Tamara Carmody on 0451955609)
- 7-8.30pm: Sing for your Soul – June 20th , July 25th, August 22nd , Sept 19th , Oct 10th, Nov 7th, Dec 5th. Each class is $20. Contact Ganga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0412 551 182 or Julia on 0400 420 643 for more information.
- 1pm – 4pm Koori Women’s Workshops
- 12-1pm: Alchemy Crystal Singing Bowls, crystal sound therapy. 2-3pm, 2nd and 4th Sunday every month (except 27th April). $10.
For further information on any of the above classes please call 4255 6800 or email email@example.com
Our rooms are available for free of charge for women’s groups to meet – please contact us if you have further inquiries.
Health care services @ IWHC
Women’s Health Doctor will be available for consultations every Tuesday and Thursday.
Women’s Health Nurse Practitoner Clinic is available Monday to Thursday.
We also have the following health providers available at the centre.
Please contact us for information on making an appointment and costs.
- Phone Counsellor
- Bowen Therapy
Illawarra Women’s Health Centre is located at 2-14 Belfast Ave, Warilla.
P | 4255 6800