Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District(ISLHD) Drug & Alcohol(D&A) Service has a new Hepatitis & HIV webpage with information about new treatments.
- Get tested if you have had a tattoo, piercing, inject(ed) drugs or steroids, had a surgical procedure overseas or had unprotected sex.
- Symptoms of liver disease may not be felt until the liver is significantly scarred.
- Nearly half of the people who have hepatitis B do not know they have it.
- Without treatment, up to 25% will die from liver failure or liver cancer.
New treatment for Hepatitis C is:
- more effective, resulting in a cure for over 95% of people
- taken as tablets only with very few side-effects
- medicines are available through the PBS
ISLHD Drug & Alcohol service have staff who can:
- Discuss testing, medication or treatment for Hepatitis or HIV
- Provide a health checkup/ test for Hep C or HIV with anyone who has a current or past Drug &Alcohol use history.
- Potentially commence Hep C treatment
Phone 1300 652 226 to make an appointment or drop into The Orana Centre , 2 Rawson St, Wollongong on a Thursday morning
The First Step Program can provide information sessions for your staff or community/client groups. Phone 4275 1529.
Please provide feedback on this page via the survey monkey link on the web page or click here.