Family Tax Benefit (FTB) non-lodger electronic reminders (email and SMS) will be sent to customers from Monday 28 May to Friday 1 June 2018. Customers will receive the electronic reminder if they are registered to receive electronic messages and have not lodged their tax returns for the 2016-17 financial year or advised us they are not required to lodge a return.
Customers (and/or their partner) need to:
- lodge their tax returns with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or
- advise us that they are not required to lodge a tax return.
Customers can notify that they (and/or their partner) are not required to lodge a tax return by:
- logging into their Centrelink online account via myGov and selecting, ‘Advise non lodgement of tax return’ option
- using their Express Plus Centrelink mobile app, or
- calling us on 136 150 and saying ‘Non-lodger’ when asked for the reason of their call.
What do I need to do?
Customers must be reminded of the importance of providing accurate income details for the non-lodgement year. This will enable their entitlements to be correctly assessed and reduce the risk of the customer being over or under paid.
Customers must not include Family Tax Benefit or child care payments as income when advising they are not required to lodge.
Customers who are not sure if they are required to lodge a tax return should be directed to the ‘Do I need to lodge a tax return?’ tool on the ATO website ato.gov.au.
Where can I get more information?
For more information, refer to Operational Blueprint:
- Recording not required to lodge advice and previous year income 007-11010080, and
- Advise non-lodgement of tax return option online 133-04080060
Who can I contact for more information?