Illawarra Women’s Health Centre
We remain open but have minimal staff working at the Centre.
- All groups, programs and workshops are cancelled until further notice.
- Individual appointments for medical and mental health practitioners remain available (including abortion).
- If you have an appointment please call us before you attend if you have any symptoms or have been travelling overseas in the last 21 days.
- Where possible, appropriate and when agreed conversations at the Centre will take place outside in our backyard (fresh air and sunshine are important).
- Massage appointments are cancelled until further notice.
- Before entering the Centre, there are strict hygiene protocols to respect.
- We have staff available by phone if you need to talk to someone – 4255 6800.
Please keep updated with NSW Health and reliable information sources such as Dr Norman Swan on the ABC (eg the the coronacast podcast)
Protect our communities: no evictions in a health crisis
Along with 70 other organisations and researchers, the Tenants’ Union is calling for Commonwealth, State and Territory governments across Australia to put an immediate stop on evictions during COVID19.
We need to give everyone the breathing space to work out how we will manage this community crisis. We need to share the costs now and during the recovery afterwards.
Things are moving quickly. Please show your support and sign the petiton – which has already gained over 500 signatures in the hours since it was launched.
No-one should lose their home during this crisis
The COVID19 pandemic is causing massive human and economic harm. Many workers, especially contractors and casual workers, will suffer from lost incomes. Many will fall into rent arrears and be at risk of eviction. People facing eviction are less able to take actions required to minimise transmission of COVID19, particularly where they become homeless, and will become more vulnerable to illness.
An eviction at this time puts great pressure on families and communities in overcrowded homes, crisis accommodation and people sleeping rough.
Take action now
We’re asking you to take immediate action to protect our communities and help us stop evictions. Please sign the petition and share it on social media using the hastags #Covid2019Au #NoEvictionsCOVID19
COVID19 and renting – what tenants need to know
The Tenants’ Union has also put together this useful resource for tenants covering the most common questions we are hearing at this time, including:
- Can my landlord evict me during this crisis?
- Can my landlord continue holding inspections for sale, including open homes?
- I have lost income, what can I do?
- I’m having trouble with other household bills, what can I do?
- I am supposed to be at Tribunal, should I still go? What will happen to my case?
- I’m an international student and I’m affected by the travel ban. What can I do?
- I’m ok but I want to help my community. How can I do that?
If you need tenancy advice, contact your local Tenants’ Advice and Advocacy Service. Please note that a number of offices are closed, including the Tenants’ Union office, however staff are working remotely to maintain services. Phone or online contact is best.
Translated hygiene etiquette posters
Latest NSW Health ‘hygiene etiquette – help us stop the spread’ posters translated and uploaded on to the NSW health website:
The NSW Refugee Health Service is arranging additional posters in additional languages for refugees and asylum seekers.
Multicultural Health Service is also supporting the development of resources in other (non refugee) languages.
ACON’s senior leadership team will wind down the work in our office space, with the bulk of our people working remotely to avoid and the transmission of COVID-19.
Our regional team has been grounded, with all outreach trips for the foreseeable future postponed. These measures will stay in place until we have a better idea of what the rest of this year will look like.
Josef Garrington will be available online and will respond to all emails and phone calls, and with access to technology which will allow dial or video meetings.
Josef Garrington – Community Health Promotion Officer
Regional Outreach, Illawarra and Southern NSW
Phone: 02 9206 2113
Mobile: 0437 651 752