Following the sun: shining the light on Aboriginal mental health 3 March 2021
Youth Health Forums (YHFs) are stimulating, half-day forums that cover a wide range of adolescent health and wellbeing issues, appealing to health, education, community, welfare professionals and students. The Forum provides an opportunity for attendees to meet, update knowledge and skills, exchange information and strengthen the youth health network, in order to provide the best possible support for young people in NSW.
Although it’s challenging to host face to face meetings at this unusual time, the YHF Organising Committee recognises the value of extending YHFs to those working with young people both in Sydney and rural and regional areas; the scheduled March 2021 Forum will once again be live streamed to individuals to keep everyone safe. Note that there will be no video conferences held at the usual rural and regional sites.
Cost: Free of charge
When and where
Date: 3 March 2021
Time: 9am -12.30pm (AEST)
Where: live streamed to where you are
Live Stream details (including technical difficulty issues)
To watch the live event go to: https://www.thestreamingguys.com.au/production/youth-health-forum-aboriginal-people-and-mental-health-030321/
- Remember to add this to your calendar, no password is required
- Ensure you have up to date browser installed for example Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Check out page 2 of the attached program and the streaming tips if you encounter technical difficulty on the Forum day
RSVP: Register by close of business 26 February 2021 to receive a reminder email (registration is optional)
Direct questions to Forum speakers during the live stream
- Text questions to 0452 378 112 stating location and question. For example “[Dubbo], my Q to Speaker A is….”
- For technical difficulty on the Forum day, please refer to live stream details above (this mobile number will not be able to respond to technical issues)
Forum’s speaker notes
The speakers’ presentations will be available on the NSW Health website (www.health.nsw.gov.au) within two weeks of the Forum (search for ‘Youth Health Forum’) , or go to: www.health.nsw.gov.au/kidsfamilies/youth/Pages/speakers-presos.aspx
- Your feedback is very important to us, please fill in this FIVE MINUTE Evaluation form on https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YHF3Mar2021 after the Forum
- Evaluation closes on the 19th March 2021
Program includes presentations on:
This forum will be chaired by Ms Kerry Smith, Aboriginal Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service Priority Advisor, Mental Health – Children and Young People, NSW Ministry of Health
- Welcome to Country: Auntie Yvonne Weldon, Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council
- Truth for Youth – what they’re teaching us – what we are learning: Emeritus Professor Judy Atkinson AM, Patron We Al-li
- Working with Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) to understand the health of Aboriginal young people: Ms Kezia Aurora Blackledge, Public Health and Intelligence Officer; Miss Shana Quayle, Sector Support Unit Manager; Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council (AH&MRC)
- Staying Connected in the Outback: Ms Corina Kemp, Aboriginal Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol (MHDA) Clinical Leader; Mr Zacariah Henderson, Aboriginal MHDA Trainee; Far West MHDA Service, Far West Local Health District
- Mental health habits and rituals: Mr Jeffrey Morgan, Nutritionist/Health & Wellbeing Consultant and Owner, The Lifestyle Program
- Voice of youth: young people
- Panel discussion: Panel will include all program speakers
Please see the attached program for more details.
Don’t miss this forum and let your networks know
Hope you can join us on the Forum day! Please feel free to pass this onto your colleagues and networks.