Currently in the recruitment stage, The Dementia Centre, HammondCare is working with Assistance Dogs Australia to match 8 assistance dogs with carers and their loved ones living in the community with dementia.
How can the Assistance Dog provide support?
- Prompting with things like taking medications and hydrating
- Mobility support tasks like opening doors, picking items up (eg. Remote control)
- Barking alert to danger
- Nudge draws and cupboards closed that have been left open
- Companionship and emotional support
- Trained specifically to match a person’s needs
- No upfront costs to participate, including the cost of the dog
- Vet and food bills will be paid by the program for the first 12 months
Some things to consider…
- Cost of dog will transfer to the owner after the first year
- Carer will need to support training of the dog
- Must love dogs and have no allergies
- Preferably no other dogs currently at home
- Be prepared for dog slobber, picking up droppings, dog hair – grooming
- Dogs will need to be walked daily
- There must be a diagnosis of dementia and living with a caregiver
- Participants must be living in NSW or Victoria
- A willingness to participate in the evaluation process, which occurs just prior to receiving the dog, and then 6 and 12 months afterwards.
Alternatively your clients can contact The Dementia Centre on (02) 8437 7355 with further questions or fill out the attached expression of interest form.
FREE Information Sessions
NSW Fair Trading will be holding FREE information sessions at the Centre.
- Scam Awareness | Current Scams and how to avoid losing money. Wednesday 16th September 11.00am -12.00pm
- Product Safety | Products,toys and safe use. Tuesday 22nd September 11.00am – 12.00pm
- Tenancy Renting | Bonds, Condition Reports. Tuesday 13th October 11.00am -12.00pm
Pelvic Floor Exercise Course
Next Course starts on Wednesday October 7th and will be held in two locations, at the Illawarra Women’s Health Centre and Unanderra Community Centre. 6 week course $8 per week or $40 if paid in advance. Please call to register on 42556800.
Carers Group | Come and join us on
Tuesday 15th September 2015 10.00am – 12.00pm
There will be some fun activities on valuing your mind, mindfulness and meditation lead by a Brahma Kamaris and a lovely morning tea. For more information call 4255 6800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mothers and Daughters | Puberty Matters
Join our three week course to help mothers and daughter understand and deal with changes that take place during puberty and adolescence. By learning together, young women (10-12 years) and their mothers can strengthen their relationship.
Date: 6.00pm – 8.00pm Thursdays for 3 weeks starting 15th October $10 per family to cover costs. Please call to book 4255 6800
Women’s Healthy Relationship Group
This group is run by Family Services Illawarra and is about strengthening relationships through sharing and support.
Date: Friday’s 10.00am – 12.00pm for 8 weeks starting 23rd October
Please contact Gai on 0439 428 816 or Lisa 0407 016 293 to book
FREE Group Tutoring | Essay Writing
In high school or know of anyone in high school that needs some help with their essay writing. Join Cassie on Monday afternoons at 3.15 for some FREE group tutoring. Starts 12th October. Afternoon tea provided.
Living Well with Pain
Do you live with pain and would like to learn more on how to manage your pain and what options are available?
Date: 9th October 10.00 – 2.00.
Cost: $5 (lunch provided)
Please call 4255 6800 to book
New Massage Therapist!
We now have a new massage therapist available Tuesday and Wednesday. Specialising in Hot Stone Massage and Relaxation massage. $40 for 1 hour or $30 Concession.
New Social Group (Starting soon)
We have a new Social Group starting soon. The group will meet at the centre to organise outings, movies, theatre, dining, walks etc. Please call 42556800 to register your interest.
New evening Meditation starting soon. Please call to leave you contact details so we can contact you with start date and time.
It’s just under a year since the release of the Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW 2014-2024 to reform the NSW mental health sector and facilitate improved mental health and wellbeing for all of us in NSW.
We’d like to hear from you as to what you think about the Plan, your experience of implementation and how you think mental health reform is progressing.
Whether you work for a government agency or a community managed organisation, or if you have a lived experience of mental illness or are a carer, your views are important to us and will help us form a picture of progress.
To participate, just start the survey now.
We look forward to hearing your views and thank you in advance for your participation.
- The program provides learner drivers and their supervisors the opportunity to participate in a planned drive which follows a route in the Wollongong region including a range of driving experiences.
- Participants will also experience a Random Breath Test (RBT) and Driver Reviver rest stop which informs them how to deal with fatigue.
- The program is delivered in partnership with Wollongong City Council, Bulli Police & Community Youth Club and Volunteers in Policing to help learner drivers complete the compulsory 120 hours of driving experience required.
- The Learner Driver Log Book Run program reinforces the importance of educating young people early in their driving life about behavioural issues that could one day save their lives.
The next Learner Log Book Run will be held:
Date: Sunday 30th August 2015
Time: 9:30am – 12noon
Location: Bulli PCYC
Cost: FREE (including driver reviver stop snacks and lunch on completion)
Bookings are essential as places are limited and can be made by contacting Wollongong City Council on 4227 7111 or email@example.com
What’s on @ Illawarra Women’s Health Centre: June 2015 herego red