Mindful Parenting is a FREE six week course for parents, grandparents and foster parents of children with an intellectual disability or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The course is based on the theory and practice of a mindfulness-based intervention called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT uses mindfulness, acceptance and behaviour change strategies to help people take positive, values guided action in their lives.
Mindful Parenting is very different to a traditional parenting course. Mindful Parenting helps parents to make workable, lasting and positive changes in their own lives and in the lives of their children by improving their own psychological flexibility and behavioural adaptability. Parents develop ways to get space from difficult thoughts and make room for unpleasant or painful emotions and body sensations so they can make choices and take action that is guided by personal values. Parents also improve motivation and commitment towards their own self-care and stress reduction.
Mindful Parenting aims to deliver the following outcomes for parents:
- Increased psychological flexibility
- Expansion in range of adaptive parenting behaviours
- Increased skills in mindful attention and awareness
- Increased ability to take positive action that is guided by personal values
- Improvement in relationships with children
- Improvement other family and personal relationships
- Increased kindness and compassion towards themselves and others
- Opportunities for social connection with others in similar situations
- Opportunities to share personal stories in a safe and validating environment
- Access information, knowledge and wisdom from other parents and caregivers
Just a reminder that The Illawarra Forum is hosting an important Information Session next week. TAFE is offering fee free accredited training opportunities for you, your staff and clients. Hear about these opportunities and have your say on the priorities for your organisation. These fee free opportunities are only available until the end of the financial year.
The fee free training opportunities can be across the whole range of TAFE courses; including Community Services, Business, Building and Construction, Hospitality and Cookery, Information Technology, Horticulture, and pathway courses. Think creatively about your organisations training needs.
The information sessions are for staff and CEO’s from any area of community services who are interested in
- professional development opportunities for staff and/or
- training options for clients
There will also be a presenter from State Training to provide an update on the eligibility criteria for Smart and Skilled for 2016.
- Dapto Ribbonwood Centre: Wednesday 24th February 2016, 1pm to 3pm – click here to book
- Anglicare Nowra: Thursday 25th February 2016, 1pm to 3pm – click here to book
For more information and to book your place please see attached flyers.
* to be eligible for Fee FREE you must be over 15 years of age, have left school, live or work in New South Wales, be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen.